Monday 26 November 2012

Epicurus said...

..."We should look for someone to eat and drink with, before looking for something to eat and drink."

Next Sunday a family from our church will be hosting their monthly bring and share open house. The idea is that everyone brings some food, it all goes on the table, and everyone present can share in the feast. This is a style of entertaining that I have turned to frequently, both in my home and at church.

It has a number of benefits. For one thing, it is an inexpensive way of hosting a large gathering. No one family carries the full cost of feeding so many mouths. It also builds a sense of community, with everyone contributing to a shared experience. When I have hosted such events I have usually provided something filling, substantial and cheap, like a great big pasta bake (just pasta, tomato sauce, veg and grated cheese), or a big pan of soup with bread rolls to dip in.

I guess you run the risk of having lots of the same thing, but that has never been my experience.

I've been giving some thought as to what I will take on Sunday. I am following weight watchers, so I want to be sure there is omething healthy and low fat! I also need something that won't take much prepping, as I am going to be out literally all day on Saturday. So, I think I shall settle for carrot sticks, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, bread sticks and a simple dip or two. A big tray full of those will look appetising without being too expensive! I might take some fresh fruit salad, too, depending on what is on sale for a good price at the shops.

No comments:

Post a Comment