Monday 26 November 2012

Chocolatey goodness...

...recipe suggestion.

Very close to my school is a little shop which sells a dangerously addictive substance...

Tiffin!

The kids at my school go crazy for it, and so do many of the staff. The Tiffin from this shop is the stuff of legend. If you've never eaten it, then frankly, you have never lived.

Well, it's almost the end of the month, so funds are running low. I have enough basic foodstuffs to see us through until payday on Friday, but sometimes the basics are not enough. You need a little tiffin. So tonight, I'm going to make my own. Tiffin is the easiest thing in the world to make, using very simple ingredients, but somehow tastes far more wonderful than you would expect.

First, put 2 tablespoons of golden syrup, 2 tablespoons of sugar (any sort), 4 teaspoons of cocoa powder and 110g butter into a large pan. Heat gently to melt.
Then, stir in approx 220g of biscuits, crushed and bashed to get a mixture of crumbs and lumps. Rich tea is traditional, but really any sort of biscuit will be fine. I usually use digestives, because that's what I have in most often.
Add a handful of raisins, if you like them. Actually, my daughter has an unreasonable aversion to all kinds of dried fruit, so I don't often bother. I might throw in a handful of rice crispies instead, or a bit more biscuit.
When its all mixed, spread it out into a tin, pressing it down well.
Then melt the chocolate, and spread it over the top. Chill for a couple of hours, then eat! It's very rich, you might want to keep the slices small.

Of course, this recipe has all kinds of variations.
You could add any kind of dried fruit you like - cranberries, apricots, cherries etc.
You could use plain, milk or white chocolate to top it, or a marbled mixture of all three.
You could use ginger biscuits, chopped up glacé ginger, and top with dark chocolate. I think this would make a very grown up Tiffin!

No comments:

Post a Comment