Thursday 25 October 2012

Uses for free rosemary...

 A little while ago someone gave me some sprigs of rosemary from their garden. I used it in a number of ways...

1. I added a little chopped rosemary to two packs of reduced price green beans (20p per packet) that I cooked until soft with a sliced onion and a tin of chopped tomatoes. I portioned this out into 3 plastic tubs, topped them with a little crumbled feta cheese, and put them in the freezer to take to work for lunch.

2. I had some friends over for lunch on Sunday, and I wanted to serve another vegetable, but I didn't have time to go to the shops again. So, I opened a couple of tins of butter beans, and warmed them through in some olive oil flavoured with a sprig of rosemary. I had never done that before, but they were absolutely delicious!

3. Inspired by the success of the butter beans, and The Italian vibe coming from Nigella Lawsons new series, I made a white bean and pasta soup, using up a couple of onions, a potato and some chicken stock from the freezer. I flavoured this with rosemary and bay leaves. When it was cooked, I mashed it up a bit, added a splash more water and the last of some small pasta shapes. I cannot tell you how good it tasted!!! Sometimes a meal tastes so such greater than the sum of its parts - and this was one of those times :-)

4. I made a rinse for my hair by boiling some water in a pan along with some rosemary stalks and a few leaves. I poured it into a jar, and left it to cool. While cooling, I dropped the shell of a juiced lemon into it. I strained it and used it to rinse through my hair after shampooing.

5. I cooked some chicken breasts in a simple tomato sauce, flavoured with a sprig of rosemary.

No comments:

Post a Comment